Monday, June 1, 2009

They're back.....

Fireflies! They're back!

Evan and I were thrilled to discover very late last night that our firefly phenomenon in the back yard has returned.

It was a cool, dry evening (late--after 1 am!) and I just wondered if we had any fireflies yet. When I stepped outside our bedroom door, the night was unusually brilliant due to a bright half- moon. Taking a moment for my eyes to adjust, I then noticed tiny flashes of light in the trees. At first I thought it may be shooting stars, but could there be so many at one time? Nope! It definitely was fireflies as I noticed one rogue lightening bug on the deck. Mostly they were in the trees, instantly lighting up the night. Truly a magical scene of wonder and awe--evidence of the amazing creations of a Heavenly Father who loves us and provides us with a world full of light (literally!) and beauty.

Now I wonder about the science and the conditions where fireflies best flourish.

Go here to learn more: http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/caer/ce/eek/critter/insect/firefly.htm

or to wikipedia here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly

Be prepared to be "enlightened!"

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2a/GluehwuermchenImWald.jpg








No comments: