Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Refugees, Anniversaries, and Movies

I have a resolution to post a bit more just so we can all stay more connected! I'm even getting used to typing on my new laptop--I can still learn new things (I am a Seminary teacher for goodness sake) but it just may take a bit longer for me....

Recently, we loved having Chris, Sarah, Max and little Cooper here for a week and a half as they sought refuge from a powerless home in Houston. They were most certainly blessed with only minimal damage to their fence and debris strewn on their property. Sarah has posted great pics on their website , but after Evan downloads our pics (remember I learn very slowly...) I'll post some of our own pics from our adventures here in Tyler. The weather was absolutely beautiful and we went to the zoo, the park, the Discovery Museum and just had fun being outside in the cool fall temps. What a darling and fun family they have!

Evan and I celebrated 28 years on Friday, Oct. 3! I have the best husband ever! We went to a baptism (the Atwood twins) and then went to dinner at Potpourri House (Evan was willing but still complaining about the blue hairs we would dine with) and then we ran into the Murrays! So we all had a fun dinner together! Afterwards, at nearly 10 pm, we were still game for entertainment so we went to a great movie called "Flash of Genius" about the inventor of the intermittent windshield wipers (Robert Kearns). Very good movie and nostagic for Evan and me as it was set in 1962. We loved seeing the cars and the furniture and the clothes. Here's a link to the New Yorker article the movie was based on:

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/1993/01/11/1993_01_11_038_TNY_CARDS_000363341

Okay, I'm pretty sure I did that totally wrong. I didn't follow Sarah's directions--somehow I thought I could do it on my own (just copy and paste, right?), but you'll find it if you really want to . Some of it is a bit technical but it recounts how Kearns had that "flash of genius" to think of the idea and also his struggle with Ford in getting credit for his invention. It's a good "thinking" movie.

We also saw " The Ron Clark Story"---no, not the country western singer but the teacher who wrote the book we are reading in Great Books, "The Essential 55." A teacher develops 55 rules of conduct to teach his rough Harlem 6th grade class. Matthew Perry stars and the kids are quite believable.

I've gone on way too long, but I'm trying to catch up. Congrats Katie and Will on getting a great house! We'll help you paint when we come!

No comments: